Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Buckwheat Flour Pancakes


Buckwheat flour: I've heard about it, never tried it, but I've always been intrigued by it. So, when it popped up in my uni notes on a list of 100 foods I had never tried, I thought now was the time! I did a little bit of research into it and here is what I found:


  • Buckwheat is not actually related at all to wheat, but to rhubarb! The part that we eat is the fruit seed from the beech wheat plant. 
  • Buckwheat is gluten-free
  • Buckwheat is high quality protein that delivers all of the 8 essential amino acids, including lysine (usually lacking in grains)
  • Low in calories 
  • Abundant in complex carbohydrates and fibre
  • 2 flavonoids act as antioxidants - rutin and quercetin.
  • Rich in vitamins and minerals such as riboflavin, niacin, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, and manganese.
I'm convinced:)

Next, to find a 'Buckwheat' recipe that my kids would eat. Pancakes it is!!


My 11-year-old, in particular, devoured these and they fill him up after all his sport (especially with all that protein in them).
This recipe is so easy, because it's prepared in a food processor and cooked in a pan, just like regular pancakes. We garnished ours with toasted coconut chips, greek yoghurt, honey and berries.

Recipe

Process until combined:
1 cup Buckwheat flour
2 eggs
2 tbsp of honey/maple syrup
2 tbsp of coconut oil (melted)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt

Slowly add:
1 cup milk of choice until smooth

Transfer the mixture to a jug:
Stir in 100g berries

This mixture will be quite runny!
Cook in a pan just like regular pancakes (using coconut oil, or whatever you prefer).

Enjoy!!

Jeannette.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home